Loathing House Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad Moon Guide

5 posters

Go down

Bad Moon Guide Empty Bad Moon Guide

Post  NoodlyAppendage Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:37 pm

I feel myself burning out a little bit with KoL - not because I'm getting tired of it, but because I'm getting in a rut. So I'm gonna try out a little change of pace - the ridiculously-unlucky Bad Moon run.

So which class should I try it with? Any thoughts? I'm kneejerking towards Pastamancer just because it's my favorite class in general, but anybody got any good ideas?
NoodlyAppendage
NoodlyAppendage
Forum Family
Forum Family

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

Bad Moon Guide Empty Re: Bad Moon Guide

Post  ShadowWolf Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:09 pm

There's no "bad moon loop" like there is with HOxy, since you don't get access to the ascension rewards during the run. So the order in which you do your BM runs is really up to you.

Remember that you get NO skills other than the skills you will gain in that class. So only the BM DB will be able to mix AdCock drinks, and only the BM PM will be able to make noodle dishes, and so forth.

The order I picked was DB first because I felt that moxie classes are generally easier to play, and I'd have access to AdCock drinks. So do the easy run to get my feet wet and get the hang of BM. After that, I did AT -> Sr -> TT -> PM -> SC for no particular reason.

When I'd started my BM loop, it was widely believed that myst classes were the hardest because a) no chefstaffs in BM since at the time they all needed Pulverize (a SC skill) and b) the NS fight is -very- difficult in HC even with chefstaffs. And at least Saucerors get reagent potions, which make the higher level fights easier.
But since they added the new chefstaffs, I was able to do my PM run with them and it wasn't too bad.

I would definitely suggest starting off BM with a class that you're very comfortable with. If that's PM, so be it. I did find the DB run to be the easiest by far, for the reasons I mentioned (AC drinks, moxie fighting, +item skill, delevelings). I would use the HC lead in run to get a feel for what BM will be like, trying to use non-class skills as little as possible (other than food/drink because there's no reason to prolong things on the lead-in).

One lead-in suggestion is KEEP TRACK OF CLOVERS. Put 'em in your closet when you get them and leave them there. Be aware of the places you can get clovers (spending 31337 scrolls, barrel full of barrels, etc.) and when you're doing those things BE CAREFUL that you don't get a clover and keep on clickin'. Remember that a BM lead-in means no innaboxen and no epic weapons/LEW.

Once you start getting close to breaking the prism on the lead-in run, ping this topic and I can provide BM tips especially day 1 tips and other early game stuff.

I actually kind of enjoyed BM in a perverse way. It was different, and challenging. And let me tell you, the Brimstone items are beyond sweet. Shield + Bludgeon and I can one-hit kill hobos at level 13-15.
ShadowWolf
ShadowWolf
Forum Goddess
Forum Goddess

Female
Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  ironhorn Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:57 am

hogsofdestiny have a good bad-moon guide up, that i'm planning to use when i do my bad-moon loop (with extra blud and hat fcourse)

you can check it out here
ironhorn
ironhorn
Forum God
Forum God

Male
Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Foxy Boxy Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:49 am

Because I'm a glutton for punishment* I decided to try another Bad Moon run, and because I'm incapable of talking myself out of a bad idea, it'll be kittycore. I noticed that this above link is bad, because HoD have (I'm guessing) changed their forum architecture. The HoD Bad Moon guide is here, and their Kittycore guide is here. I can't yet vouch for either's goodness, since I'm on day 1, but having done BM runs before, and skimming the HoD guides, they look reasonably complete.

*: and not, say, a pride for punishment, nor a wrath for punishment.
Foxy Boxy
Foxy Boxy
Forum God
Forum God

Male
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-07-04

https://loathinghouse.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Foxy Boxy Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:00 pm

Aickman was asking about Bad Moon / kittycore and I was checking here for any and all guides. Looks like some of the links are old. Here's an excellent kol wiki guide:

Yo, baby.
Foxy Boxy
Foxy Boxy
Forum God
Forum God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  catchops Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:11 pm

Yikes, a lot has changed lately. I've used salticid's guide v2.0 a lot: http://hogsofdestiny.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1702
It's from about a year ago, so also out of date, but at least it's pretty self-consistent.
It looks like the Hogs are starting to move that guide into their wiki; maybe they'll update it!

The one in the kol wiki needs a lot of updating too, though it's been updated more recently in spots. I edited a couple of things today, but I keep seeing others that are out of date. Next time I do bad moon I'll try to work on it if someone better hasn't done it first. I'm still short a couple of pieces of Brimstone...

catchops
Forum Family
Forum Family

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Foxy Boxy Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:23 pm

The nice thing about BM is that any strategy guide is less affected by the march of time, since things that would impact HC strategy (new familiars, skills, and especially IotM familiars and/or skills, VIP room items, etc.) or SC strategy (the same, plus all the equipment and other pull-ables) don't factor in. So something like "peppermint or pumpkin garden" is a moot point.

If you're familiar with the quest revamps and some other world changes - for example the Pandamonium changes if a guide is still telling you about 30 turns at the gate, 10 turns elsewhere, then back for the steel organ - you can mentally slot them in as needed.

The core strategy bits haven't changed much, I don't think. For instance, you still want to get the bugbear outfit and some early (day 1-3 or so) lucre so you can Olfact fruit golems for limes and cherries to make pies. You just may need to remember you need to farm the menagerie key from the laboratory now before you can do it, in case the Knob revamp came after the latest edit of the strategy guide.
Foxy Boxy
Foxy Boxy
Forum God
Forum God

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content